JJC Culinary Instructor and Chef Andy Chlebana was honored as one of the top 10 pastry chefs in the nation at an awards ceremony in New York City on June 3.
Chlebana was named to the prestigious list by Dessert Professional Magazine, the nation’s leading publication of the pastry, ice cream and chocolate industries.
The selection is made by the publisher and editors of the magazine, and it is based on how the chefs contribute to the industry. Chlebana was the only educator on the list.
“It was a great honor to be selected as one of the top ten pastry chefs,” he said. “When I was a student at JJC, the chefs that were selected for the top ten were considered the industry leaders. Now, not only was I on the list, I got to meet many of the former top ten pastry chefs. “
Chlebana said that he had a lot of fun at the event, even though it was busy. In addition to being an honoree, he also prepared a special dessert for attendees.
“In addition to the dessert, I built a chocolate sculpture for my buffet table,” he said. “There were a few minutes during the event that I could mingle with the other chefs, and then it was all work. Even though we were busy it was hard not to smile, knowing that I had made it and this year I was the only educator selected.”
Chlebana, a Plainfield resident, has competed nationally and internationally for years, and his accomplishments include:
• 2012 Team USA Coupe du Monde Captain – fourth place
• 2011 ACF Category F6 – first place gold medal
• 2011 Pastry Live National Showpiece Championship – most excellent (best overall)
• 2011 Pastry Live National Showpiece Championship – best chocolate piece
• 2011 Food Network Challenge, Sugar and Candy Fashion – first place
• 2011 ACF Cold Plated Desserts – gold medal
• 2011 US Pastry Competition – fourth place
• 2010 ACF Hot Plated Desserts Team USA Tryouts – silver medal
• 2010 ACF Cold Pastry Buffet Team USA Tryouts – silver medal
• 2010 US Pastry Competition – third place
• 2009 ACF Category F5 – first place, silver medal
• 2009 US Pastry Competition – third place
• 2008 ACF Category P2 – first place, gold medal
• 2008 ACF National Pastry Chef of the Year
• 2008 ACF Central Region Pastry Chef of the Year