Spirit Week 2014 is coming to JJC March 3 to 7, with a special series of events and activities hosted by Student Government, Phi Theta Kappa and other student clubs. Each day of the week will have a different theme and series of events planned. Students, faculty and staff are invited to participate and celebrate JJC each day!
Spirit Monday: All students, faculty and staff are asked to wear purple or other JJC apparel and represent the college and show their school spirit. Anyone taking photos or videos to share on social media is asked to use the hashtag #JJCSpirit.
- Deaf Idol, sponsored by the American Sign Language Club, 10 a.m. – noon on the Bridge. Come and sign your favorite song, become the next Deaf Idol!
- Free popcorn for students, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Taco Tuesday: Free tacos for students on the Bridge, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Transfer Wednesday: Students, dress to represent the college or university you are planning to transfer to! Faculty and staff, please dress to represent the college or university you attended.
- 8 – 10 a.m.: Student volunteers will greet students, faculty and staff as they come in on this morning. Wiley the Wolf will also be on hand to greet people, and “Commit to Complete” signing walls will be placed around Main Campus for students to sign to signify their commitment to completing a degree a certificate at JJC.
- 10 a.m.-noon: Resource tables will be available on the Bridge for students, offering on-the-spot degree audits, counseling, transfer advice, and more.
- 1 – 2pm: Students are invited to attend an alumni panel on completion in A-1061. Students will hear from JJC alumni who will speak about how JJC impacted their ability to complete their goals in life. The alumni panelists will be: Paige Vanderhyden, Sylvester Cotrell and Dr. Judy Mitchell.
Throwback Thursday: Dress in clothes from a different decade! Have fun representing your favorite past decade. A photo booth will be available on Thursday on the Bridge for students to capture memories from the day (props and costumes will be available as well).
- The Honors Program will be hosting a Chili Cook-off from noon- 1:30 p.m. on the Bridge. Come taste a wide variety of different and unique chili recipes! The cost is $5 for samples and a bowl of your favorite chili and beverage, $2 for a second bowl.
- At 2 and 5 p.m., the Honors Program will also be hosting screenings of “The Hunger Games: Catching Fire” in the Fine Arts Theatre. Students can see the movie for free (or a $1 donation), and all others can get tickets at $3 per person. Tickets can be purchased at the door or in advance in C-2002. All proceeds from both the chili cook-off and film screening will benefit Relay for Life.
Black Friday: Wear all black on Friday, and have fun with a special spy game, Secret Agent Obstacle Course, that will be set up on the Bridge. Navigate this synthetic laser beams without setting off any alarms to win a prize!
If you are sharing your photos and videos from Spirit Week on social media, please use hashtag #JJCSpirit in your posts.
Thanks in advance for your participation! We look forward to celebrating Spirit Week with everyone.
For more information about Spirit Week, contact Student Government at ext. 2755.