The public is invited to a Joliet Junior College Jazz Band spring concert on Friday, May 1 at 7:30 p.m. in the Fine Arts Theatre on the JJC Main Campus, 1215 Houbolt Road in Joliet. The jazz band is under the direction of Fine Arts Assistant Professor Rich Moore.
In addition to the JJC Jazz Band, the Bolingbrook High School Jazz Band, under the direction of Bob Hanerhoff, will make a guest appearance during the beginning of the concert.
Admission is $5 for adults; $4 for senior citizens, non-JJC students, JJC faculty and staff; and $2 for JJC students.
JJC student soloists include Leif Sebby of Plainfield on alto saxophone; Chad Taylor of Ottawa and Nancy Lehman of Joliet on tenor saxophone; Mark Grossi of Naperville on baritone saxophone; Ron Magiera of New Lenox and Dave Griesemer of Frankfort on trumpet; Vinny Basile of Joliet, Dennis Galle of New Lenox and William Cooper of Joliet on trombone; Dana Goodman of Romeoville and James Stegall of Joliet on drums; Nick Kemp-Bystrzryki of New Lenox on guitar, Connor Brauer of Plainfield on bass, and Janice Murphy of Orland Park on piano.
The jazz band will perform:
- “Sepia Panorma” by Duke Ellington
- “Ko-Ko” by Duke Ellington
- “Blue Serge” by Mercer Ellington
- “Tippin’ on the Q.T.” by Buck Clayton
- “All the Things You Are” by Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein II
- “Red Clay” by Freddie Hubbard
- “La Fiesta” by Chick Corea
- “Royal Garden Blues” by Clarence and Spencer Williams
- “Bolivia” by Cedar Walton
- “Stardust” by Hoagy Carmichael
- “Switch in Time” by Sammy Nestico
- “Oop Bop Sh’bam” by Dizzy Gillespie
The jazz band is made up of both JJC students and community members who reside in Community College District 525. The group meets on Wednesday evenings from 7 to 9:45 p.m. during the fall and spring semesters. To join the jazz band, or for further information, contact the Fine Arts Department at 815-280-2223 or visit www.jjc.edu/fine-arts.